Tertianship Program details
for 2018, 2019, 2020:
Christian Brothers Centre
GPS: 33° 57′ 57.5″ S and 18° 51′ 44.5″ E
+27 73 497 4070
Date next program starts
16 September 2019
Date this current program ends
17 March 2020
How many men does the program take?
Christian Brothers Centre, Paradyskloof Road,
The cost is US$ 5,500. This covers all the expenses for the programme but not the travel to and from South Africa. The Tertians should bring some extra funds for other activities before or after the tertianship.
Description of the Program
The second intake will be in 2019. The programme follows the common tertianship programme of the Society of Jesus with a particular emphasis on the African experience of the Society of Jesus. It is essentially the ‘school of the heart’ for the Jesuit at the end of his primary formation as St Ignatius desired; it aims to create a community of priest and brother tertians through a mutual sharing of our Jesuit life stories and prayer. The consideration of our own life story and that of St Ignatius with the experience of the Spiritual Exercises seeks to integrate the life of each tertian for final incorporation into the Society. A study of the Constitutions, General Congregations, history of the Society, Vows and administration of the Society is an integral part of the tertianship. A detailed timetable is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A strong desire and commitment to the tertianship programme.
- At least three years apostolic work and experience.
- A fluency in English for spiritual accompaniment, group work and ministries.
- A mission from one’s Major Superior to the tertianship. The applicant should contact the Tertianship Director (preferably by email) after discussing the suitability of this program with his Major Superior
- A confidential recommendation will be asked from the Major Superior, as well as a Testimonial of Suitability for Ordained Ministry i.e. with regard to Safeguarding and Addiction requirements.
- Members of the African Assistancy will normally be given priority.
Please apply well in advance as visas take time to process.